Library for boolean operations on polygons.
use iron_shapes::prelude::*; use iron_shapes_booleanop::BooleanOp; // Create two polygons. let p1 = Polygon::from(vec![(0., 0.), (2., 0.), (2., 1.), (0., 1.)]); let p2 = p1.translate((1., 0.).into()); // Shift p1 by (1, 0). // Compute the boolean intersection of the two squares. let intersection = p1.intersection(&p2); assert_eq!(intersection.polygons.len(), 1); assert_eq!(intersection.polygons, Polygon::from(vec![(1., 0.), (2., 0.), (2., 1.), (1., 1.)])); // Compute the boolean exclusive-or of the two squares. // This results in two unconnected polygons. This demonstrates why boolean operations return always // a `MultiPolygon`. let intersection = p1.xor(&p2); assert_eq!(intersection.polygons.len(), 2);
- This work is originally loosely based: F. Martinez, A. Rueda, F. Feito, “A new algorithm for computing Boolean operations on polygons”, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.advengsoft.2013.04.004
The algorithm implemented here deviates from the reference paper. Most notably, the ordering of lines 6-9 in Listing 2 is done differently to properly handle vertical overlapping edges.
- Connect the resulting edges of the sweep line algorithm into polygons.
- Extract the connectivity graph of polygons.
- Implement the general sweep line algorithm used for algorithms like Boolean operations and connectivity extraction.
- Implement the
- Implement the
- Type of boolean operation.
- Define the ‘inside’ of a polygon. Significant for self-overlapping polygons.
- Trait for geometric primitives that support boolean operations.
- Compute approximate intersection point of two edges in floating point coordinates.
- Compute intersection of edges in integer coordinates. For edges that are parallel to the x or y axis the intersection can be computed exactly. For others it will be rounded.
- Compute the intersection of edges with rational coordinates. In rational coordinates intersections can be computed exactly.
- Perform boolean operation on a set of edges derived from polygons. The edges must form closed contours. Otherwise the output is undefined.